THE TEMPORAL LOGBOOK II SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
**Revised 2 April 17
Pencil Tip Publishing is pleased to announce The Temporal Logbook II, a Doctor Who themed short-story collection and the follow-up companion to 2015s highly successful short-story collection The Temporal Logbook.
Doctor Who has one of the most flexible formats in television drama. With the basic premise of an alien who travels throughout space and time in a box that is bigger inside than out, and disguised as a 1960s police public call box, it can’t get much simpler than that. One week the show can be a gothic horror, the next a comedic satire, or a base-under-siege thriller – the possibilities are endless.
Pencil Tip Publishing will be accepting stories for inclusion in The Temporal Logbook II for one day and one day only – Saturday May 6 2017 from 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm Pacific Standard Time.
As with the original short-story collection, the second volume will feature twelve original stories by new and up-in-coming writers. All twelve incarnations of the Doctor will be featured with a story dedicated to that particular incarnation. (Please note: at this time, we are only accepting stories featuring Doctors 2, 4,5, 8, 9 and the War Doctor.)
The Temporal Logbook II will be published by Canadian publisher Pencil Tip Publishing, with proceeds from the publication being donated to the charity of our choice (N.B. recipient charity to be determined).
To contribute a story to The Temporal Logbook II all you have to do is:
- Submit 1 completed story. (Multiple submissions are not allowed.)
- Provide your full name and email, and
- Include a brief bio telling us a bit about yourself (if you haven’t worked with us previously), and if you’ve been published before or not.
We will be accepting finished stories for publication on Open Submissions Day May 6th.
- Stories must be written in English.
- Submitted stories should be between 5000-8000 words.
- Stories should be based on Doctor Who as broadcast on BBC Television.
- Stories are to feature television Doctors 2, 4, 5, 8, 9 and the War Doctor.
- Stories should feature the appropriate companion(s) with the correct incarnation of the Doctor. For example, if you submit a Fourth Doctor story it should feature the companion(s) associated with his era of the television series. (Please note: we will also accept stories featuring companions you have created yourself.)
- Stories should be attached to an email as either a Word (.doc/.docx) document.
- Stories should be formatted as follows:
- 1 inch margins all round (e.g. top, bottom, left, right).
- Double line spacing.
- Full justified blocked.
- Each page should contain author name, story title and page number in the header.
- Typed using either Times New Roman, Arial or Tahoma 12 pt. font. No fancy fonts.
- North American style double quotes to show speech (e.g. “What do you mean”, asked Sally).
- Your submission should include a cover letter. The cover letter should:
- Include your full name, age, email address, home address, story title, and detail of any previous publication history.
If Your Story Is Accepted for Publication
If your story is accepted for inclusion in the collection, writers will have:
- The opportunity to work with a team of Editors who will work with you and help you write the best story possible.
- Receive helpful feedback and advice on all aspects of writing from sentence structure, spelling, grammar, and more. Our Editors offer as much help as we can. We edit the stories, make suggestions on them, and support our writers.
- Appropriate time revised and submit second drafts of their story. Please note we will inform you the date(s) when drafts are due by.
How and When to Submit
- Open Submission Day (12:00 pm-6:00 pm PT) is: May 6, 2017
- Stories attached to the body of an email in MS Word format
- Submissions sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, or would like further information please feel free to email us at the above email address and we’ll reply at our earliest opportunity.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Please note: Pencil Tip Publishing reserves the right to reject submissions without further explanation. Unfortunately due to the volume of submitted stories, if your story is not chosen for publication, while we would love to reply to your individually, we simply don’t have time to provide a detailed explanation as to why your story was not used.
Authors whose stories are used for publication will receive a complimentary copy of the finished publication.
Exclusive right to publish your short story in a hardcopy format for two years, and non-exclusively thereafter. Stories must be previously unpublished and must be original work. This means that the story should not have appeared anywhere else, either in print or online. This includes publications on an author’s own website. Rights will revert back to the writer 24 months after publication. You will be asked to sign a contract to this effect if your story is accepted for publication.
We will not be accepting multiple submissions. One submission per person.
Our Response Time
Up to 45, or more, days. We will be as quick as we can to read and assess your story. Please bear in mind that depending on the number of submissions we receive, this may take longer. We will try to respond to your submission on or before our set response time. If there are any delays, we will notify you by email, or alternately post updates on the blog.
We’re looking forward to reading your story for consideration as part of the TEMPORAL LOGBOOK II.
TTL II Editorial Team