THE TEMPORAL LOGBOOK
It’s been said that Doctor Who has one of the most flexible formats in television drama. With the basic premise of an alien who travels throughout space and time in a box that is bigger inside than out, and which is disguised as a 1960s police public call box, it can’t get much simpler than that. One week the show can be a gothic horror, the next a comedic satire, or a base-under-siege thriller – the possibilities are endless.
With this in mind, we are looking for 11 stories for the very first THE TEMPORAL LOGBOOK short story collection.
The Temporal Logbook is a new short-story collection featuring original Doctor Who fiction by new and upcoming writers. The stories will involve the first eleven television Doctors, in a series of exciting adventures across space and time. The collection will be published by Canadian publisher Pencil Tip Publishing. 100% of the proceeds from this publication will be donated to our chosen charity Positive Living Society of British Columbia (formerly BC Persons with AIDS Society) at: http://www.positivelivingbc.org.
- We accept submissions worldwide, but stories must be written in English.
- Completed stories should be between 3000 and 7500 words.
- Stories should be based on Doctor Who as broadcast on BBC Television.
- Stories are to feature television Doctors 1-11. We are looking to include one story for each incarnation.
- Stories should feature the appropriate companion(s) with the correct incarnation of the Doctor. For example, if you submit a Fourth Doctor story it should feature the companion(s) associated with his era of the television series.
- Submissions should be attached to an email as either a Word (.doc/.docx) or Rich Text (.rtf) document.
- Submissions should be formatted as follows:
- 1 inch margins all round (e.g. top, bottom, left, right).
- Double line spacing.
- full justified blocked.
- each page should contain author name, story title and page number in the header.
- typed using either Times New Roman, Arial or Tahoma 12 pt font. No fancy fonts.
- North American style double quotes to show speech (e.g. “What do you mean”, asked Sally).
- Your submission should include a cover letter. The cover letter should:
- include your full name, age, email address, home address, story word count, story title.
- tell us about yourself / include a brief bio.
- contain your publishing history (if any) and any other relevant information.
NB. Submissions which fail to adhere to the above guidelines will be disregarded.
Submission Deadline: June 28, 2014
Please note: Pencil Tip Publishing reserves the right to reject submissions without further explanation.
Where & How To Submit:
- All submissions are to be made by e-mail
- Submissions are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Authors whose stories are used for publication will receive a complimentary copy of the publication.
The exclusive right to publish your short story in a hardcopy format for one year, and non-exclusively thereafter. Stories must be previously unpublished and must be original work. This means that the story should not have appeared anywhere else, either in print or online. This includes publications on an author’s own website. Rights will revert back to the writer 12 months after publication. You will be asked to sign a contract to this effect if your story is accepted for publication.
Please only submit one story at a time for consideration.
Our Response Time:
Up to 30 days. We will be as quick as we can to read and assess your story. Please bear in mind that depending on the number of submissions we receive, this may take longer. We will try to respond to your submission on or before our set response time. If you don’t receive a response from us within 60 days, please feel free to contact us. If there are any delays, we will notify you by email.
So, why not submit a story to us. We’d love to publish one of your original stories as part of the very first TEMPORAL LOGBOOK.
Pencil Tip Publishing